Since we moved to the new AX (#Dyn365FO) we use virtual machines to perform development tasks which are provided as images by Microsoft and either deployed to Azure or downloaded and run via Hyper-V on a local server. At least the latter suffer an issue at some point (age) that relates to expired certificates and that might be hard to overcome if you start from scratch. No worries – here’s some guidance that should help you to fix the machine.
Mostly for lack of time, caused by various circumstances, I haven’t created new contents here for quite some time. Also, sometimes it feels like it’s hard to find the right topics in the last weeks – if I find one someone else is quicker – this happened just today when André Arnaud de Calavon got ahead of me with writing about the new label file extensions. Nonetheless still there’s quite lots of people visiting this page every day and the counts are even rising.
And I have done something for the visitors (you 🙂 ) I want to tell about quickly. I updated the page over the last two days and implemented a SSL certificate. So, from now on axility.NET uses the https protocol and communication with the page is encrypted which makes using it more secure. If you have links to it on your page it would be nice if you could update any links from http://axility.net to https://axility.net. “Old” links still work though and get redirected to the secure connection. Thank you!
Some days ago a colleague of mine had an interesting question for me. “Clearly there’s data in the underlying table but this Data Entity’s view doesn’t provide any values in several fields. Do you know why?” Here’s what we found.
After I was able to fix the Management Reporter 2012 Process Service the next step was to reset the data mart. In some certain cases you need to do that to make Financial Reporting deliver the correct data again – one of them and probably the most likely is when you restored a database backup. For some that might be obvious because Management Reporter integrates data incrementally.
If you’re using a local copy of the AX7 Update 1 (aka May Update) virtual machine (.vhd) and experience issues with starting the Management Reporter 2012 Process Service (in Windows Services) that might be because you needed to rename the machine name. This is a very common scenario, of course. Here’s how to handle it.
I took some run-up and showed a couple of things within the last blog posts I want to bring together now for a small example how you can build an small but useful extension to the new Microsoft Dynamics AX. Amongst others, there were examples for event subscriptions, project export/import, how to use the Browser class, create an extension package and a way to search the Wiki cleverly. Today I want to combine all of that into a simple solution that uses extending techniques only and adds the ability to search the Wiki via Bing directly from AX.